Documentation Requirements

Passport and Visa Requirements for cruise travel

 Documentation Required for Cruise Travel

It will be your responsibility to identify and obtain all required travel documents. Below is the current U.S. Government policy. This information could be updated without notice. Please Note: Guests who fail to have the required documents, as determined by U.S. Customs & Immigration, will be denied boarding and such guests shall not be entitled to any refund nor shall College Party Cruise, Ignite Cruises, LLC., or Celebrity Cruises have any further liability to such guests.

Travel Documentation Checklist:

[ ]Passport Book is recommended for expedited check-in and US Customs process.

  • No Passport? Bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.
  • Name on the reservation must match your documentation.

[ ]Reminder: International guests (non-US Citizens) must check their US visa/ESTA requirements before traveling.

Please see below for more details:

U.S. Citizens:

Required Documentation for US Citizens. You will require one of the following: Passport, Passport Card, or Certified Birth Certificate AND Government issued Photo ID

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following:

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
  • Original Birth Certificate (in addition, a government-issued photo ID is required)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (in addition, a government-issued photo ID is required)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card (in addition, a government-issued photo ID is required)

For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit Please note that the name on your ticket must match the name on your passport or you will need to provide an original copy of proof of change of name (marriage license, etc). Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship that is accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo identification with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

PLEASE NOTE: The following documents will NOT be accepted as they are NOT proof of citizenship:

  • Notarized Photo Copy of a Birth Certificate
  • Notarized Photo Copy of a Passport
  • Record of Live Birth from a Hospital / Hospital Birth Certificate
  • World Passport
  • Social Security Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Military ID Cards
  • Baptismal Certificate

U.S Alien Residents and Non-US Citizens:

United States Permanent Residents: You MUST have the following travel documentation:

  • United States Permanent Resident Card, Identification, and a valid passport from your home country (in most cases).

All Other Nationalities: You MUST have the following travel documentation:

  • Passport from your home country AND valid multiple entry United States visa (if applicable).
  • Visa Requirements to enter the Bahamas (For non-US Citizens): Cruise ship passengers travelling to and returning from the Bahamas do not require to obtain visa for entry – (Only a US Visa is required). Both entry and departure must be by a cruise ship.

These are just guidelines to help you get started. This information can change at any time without notice. Non-US Citizens, please call US Citizenship and Immigration Services at 1-800-375-5283 to be sure your identification will be satisfactory.

For more details and the latest information from Celebrity Cruises please see: